[poppler] Poppler 0.8.2 released

Ross Moore ross at ics.mq.edu.au
Sat May 3 00:57:20 PDT 2008

Hi Pino,

On 02/05/2008, at 9:27 PM, Pino Toscano wrote:
> Alle venerdì 02 maggio 2008, James Cloos ha scritto:
>> After I recompiled poppler and xpdf-on-poppler with -ggdb I no longer
>> get the SEGV from pdftoppm, only from xpdf.  It looks like:
>
> ... not really useful, as all the interesting part is stripped.
> Attached you find a much better backtrace, that clearly shows the
> problem.
>
> In AnnotWidget::initialize(), in case there is a global Form object
> (that
> corresponds to the AcroForm object in the Catalog), it looks for the
> reference of the current (form widget) annotation in the fields of the
> AcroForm. But (at least in the first of the two documents) the
> Fields entry
> in AcroForm has no entries, and thus a null FormWidget* is
> returned, but it's
> dereferenced anyway, -> crash.

When AR opens the PDF it displays a message "Fixing Form Fields",
then opens the document anyway.
Until now, I've not known the reason for this.

This also means that every PDF document containing form fields,
that has been created using pdfTeX with the hyperref.sty macro package,
has been technically invalid by having an empty  /Fields [ ]  array.

Acrobat doesn't mind, since it fixes the document upon opening.
Other browsers need not do this --- with interesting consequences,
as we have discovered.

Fixing this properly is going to require changes to the driver file
  hpdftex.def  (part of the  hyperref  macro package)  and probably
also changes within  pdfTeX  itself.

> I attached a very simple patch that checks whether the FormWidget*
> is valid,
> and the faulty pages of the documents seem to load fine now.
> Iñigo, what do you think?

Thanks very much for this observation.
It gives me a good idea of both what was wrong, and also a way
to fix it --- for my owm documents, but not in full generality.

> --
> Pino Toscano

Cheers,

	Ross