[poppler] Printing with poppler on Windows

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed May 7 14:13:00 PDT 2008

On Wed, 7 May 2008 22:50:23 +0200, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> A Dimecres 07 Maig 2008, Peter Åstrand va escriure:
> > In general, using Poppler+Freetype+Cairo+Pixman seems like a quite complex
> > combination, just for the task of printing a PDF to GDI. For example,
> > Cairo seems to have built in support for using the Win32 font system
> > instead of Freetype, but unfortunately this path is not possible with
> > Poppler, as it requires Freetype. But perhaps I'm underestimating how
> > difficult this task really is.
>
> Not much really much ideas here, never worked on windows, but your
> possibilities are:
>  * "Fix" cairo to be able of building freetype without fontconfig

Probably not a hard thing to do, (would just eliminate a couple of
cairo API calls, most likely). But this probably won't be a very
interesting change from cairo's point of view, so it might not get
picked up upstream.

>  * "Fix" poppler to be able of building in windows without freetype (that
> would mean using wathever windows uses to render fonts, not an easy task i'd
> say)

This is really the "right" thing to do. Generally, applications should
use the system-specific font system for font select and text
rendering, (for consistency with other applications).

As you point, Peter, cairo does have support for win32 fonts, so I
wouldn't think it would be hard for someone who knows either poppler
or win32 fonts well, (particularly if that person has access to
someone who knows at least a little bit about the other).

Unfortunately, I know cairo, but I don't know much about poppler nor
win32 fonts.

Good luck!

-Carl