[poppler] [cairo] Printing with poppler on Windows

Peter Åstrand astrand at cendio.se
Thu May 8 01:53:36 PDT 2008

On Wed, 7 May 2008, Carl Worth wrote:

> > Also, IIRC, David Turner submitted a patch over a year ago that
> > allowed Cairo to build FreeType with or without fontconfig. If this
> > patch was applied, I believe the problem would be resolved. In any
> > case, FreeType doesn't need fontconfig for anything at all, so it
> > would be prudent to allow building Cairo without fontconfig.
>
> Right. This is (a fairly small) part of David Turner's big "cairo-ft
> rewrite". Behdad is very anxious to get the whole thing landed into
> cairo. He wasn't able to make that happen for cairo 1.6, but it's on
> the roadmap for cairo 1.8 (first item on the list in fact!):
>
> 	http://cairographics.org/roadmap/

I took a quick look at this patch and it does indeed look like a very nice
work.

Short term, however, it doesn't solve my problem. The patch is not enough
to get rid of the Fontconfig dependency: I had to manually hack the
configure script to remove the Fontconfig check and I still get
Fontconfig-related build errors.

Adrian Johnsons comment about large spool files etc also makes me a bit
worried. I'll think I have to give up on using Poppler for this task, at
this point, and try Sumatra instead.

Thanks for all your comments, everyone.

Best regards,
---