[poppler] Loading documents from GInputStream?

Tommi Komulainen tko at litl.com
Mon May 12 02:47:49 PDT 2008

Hi,

I'm investigating the possibility of loading poppler documents with
GInputStream and I'm wondering if there's already someone working on
it or have some ideas how to proceed? Quickly looking at Stream.h it
would appear to me that poppler isn't prepared to load files from
actual no seeking streams but rather expects to have all content
available when starting. Please correct me if I'm wrong.

I'm coming to this from browser perspective. The idea would be to
begin displaying the PDF content as soon as possible, without having
to wait for the whole document to download before displaying the title
page.

Another option I'm considering would be to direct poppler into loading
a temporary, incomplete, file and knowing the expected size of the
file deal with temporary EOF intelligently.

Thoughts?

- Tommi