[poppler] Loading big files from the web

Тодор Африкански afrikanski at gmail.com
Sun Oct 5 10:20:21 PDT 2008

Hello all,

I have this task I need some help with. I need to load large pdf files (over
100mb) from the web, so I can not afford to wait for the whole file to load
before displaying something on the screen. I plan to write a custom stream
class that will be able to download the files in chunks. So when poppler
needs to read at the end of the file I will download this chunk. Then, when
some page needs to be displayed, I will read the part of the file containing
the page. But I need to make poppler load the pages only when they are
needed. For example, when I display the first page, I don't want to download
the rest 1400 pages, because nobody reads 1000 pages in one sitting. So I
need to make some changes to the poppler source. Can you give me some advice
what I need to modify to make poppler read the page data only when it is
actually needed (eg displayPage), not all pages at once.

Thank you,
Tosho