[poppler] problem displaying pdf contains Chinese character

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Thu Apr 2 14:48:42 PDT 2009

What locale are you in?  (The output of the shell command:

:; locale

is the easiest way to be complete.)

When I run:

:; iconv -f cn-gb page1to10

I get useful output.  (I use LANG='en_US.UTF-8'.)

That means that pfdfonts is outputting the font names in (one of the) GB
encoding(s) rather than converting them to UTF-8.  I don't know whether
that is an artifact of how they are specified in the pdf or of your
locale settings.

What do you get from these commands:

:; fc-list 宋体 family familylang file
:; fc-list 黑体 family familylang file
:; fc-list 仿宋_GB2312 family familylang file
:; fc-list 楷体_GB2312 family familylang file
:; fc-list 仿宋 family familylang file
:; fc-list 楷体 family familylang file

The first two work for me, the latter four do not.  Which is expected,
since I do not have FangSong or KaiTi.  However, if I try those with
LANG set to zh_CN.UTF-8 I do get usable fonts for each possibility.

I suspect the pdf ought to render correctly for me for the parts which
use 宋体 or 黑体.  The rest of the file also ought to work if LANG is
set to zh_CN.UTF-8.

-JimC