[poppler] xpdf-poppler

Petr Gajdos pgajdos at novell.com
Tue Apr 28 02:42:31 PDT 2009

On Tuesday 28 April 2009 00:02:46 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> A Dilluns, 27 d'abril de 2009, Petr Gajdos va escriure:
> > On Thursday 23 April 2009 20:16:20 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> > > You mean that xpdf gives a different result than xpdf using poppler?
> > > Quite strange since it's mostly the same code.
> >
> > No. I mean: If I use xpdf's or poppler's Splash (no matter which)
> > * without patch I have sent, then text in xpdf gui really looks awful
> > (left side of the jpg)
> > * with this patch I have sent, then text in xpdf gui looks much better
> > (right side of the jpg)
> >
> > My question is if I do something wrong in xpdf gui or if this patch
> > pointing to it's backend is really needed.
>
> Well, it all boils down to some files/fonts being rendered "nicer" with
> hinting and some others without.
>
> I think there's some bug about it in our bugzilla, i never knew what to do
> since depending on the pdf one option yields better results that the other.

Which bugzilla number please? I went trough 50 pdf's on my system with xpdf
(gui) and all except one was perfectly readable when I didn't use hinting. The
one was The LINUX User's Guide, which has (only) worse abstract.

Question remains: Is here another way than maintain this patch? Can I turn
hinting off somehow in xpdf gui linking againist poppler?

Thanks
Petr