pino at kemper.freedesktop.org
Tue Jul 7 17:03:37 PDT 2009
TODO | 47 +++++++++++++++--------------------------------
1 file changed, 15 insertions(+), 32 deletions(-)
Author: Pino Toscano <pino at kde.org>
Date: Wed Jul 8 02:01:39 2009 +0200
start updating the TODO file
TODO file had quite some rust and dust in it, making quite "difficult" for others to understand what can be done for helping.
First step has been removing all the items done.
Next is grouping items by areas, so it is more clear what should be done in what area; current areas are:
- general items: for general stuff to be done, not specific to some area; an example could have been "use littlecms for color management?"
- core: stuff which is specific to the core library
- Qt4/Qt/glib/etc frontend: stuff specific for that frontend
- new frontends: ideas for possible new frontends
I was not sure about some items and Jeff Muizelaar's TODO, so I left them there.
diff --git a/TODO b/TODO
index c7971a8..2f5447a 100644
@@ -1,29 +1,6 @@
-Here's the plan as of March 21:
- - Finish glib and qobject wrappers and get rid of the 80
- header files that current constitute the poppler public API.
- Make sure the APIs are usable for kpdf and evince and other
- tools that use poppler (thumbnailers, metadata plugins
- - Make the cairo backend feature complete and optimize the
- heck out of it.
+* general items:
- Investigate better (that is, normal) text selection.
- Use PDF font descriptors to create an FcPattern.
-Convert to use as much existing infra-structure as possible:
- - drop t1lib entirely
- - use fontconfig
- - dont use /etc/xpdf.rc, add abstraction that can work with
- GNOME and KDE configuration systems (GConf and ?)
- - improve cairo backend
- - use jasper for jpeg2000 decoding?
- - use littlecms for color management?
- - use libtiff for ccitt decoding?
- Add simle performance benchmark that takes a pdf and renders
every page 100 times or so. Start keeping track of
@@ -31,16 +8,22 @@ Performance:
hack around some of it in the cairo backend)
- move away from getChar to a more read(2) like interface
- - rename GString etc in goo lib to make it more glib friendly
- - make splash optional
+ - use libtiff for ccitt decoding?
+* Qt4 frontend:
+ - expose Rendition media through the MovieObject API
+ - use Q_GLOBAL_STATIC for GlobalParams?
+ - use QSettings or another system for loading/saving Document/global settings?
+ - expose API for lcms/color management system
- - Install poppler-splash.pc and poppler-cairo.pc to indicate
- available backends. Alternatively, just hide the backend
- choice from the application. This is done now, but for this
- to work properly, we really need multiple .so's.
+* new frontends:
+ - toolkit-agnostic C or C++ frontend
+ - Java/JNI-based frontend for Android
- [ This will go away again once we get the wrappers done. ]
+* cairo backend:
+ - Make the cairo backend feature complete and optimize the
+ heck out of it.
Jeff Muizelaar's TODO:
More information about the poppler