[poppler] thumbnails

Shawn Rutledge shawn.t.rutledge at gmail.com
Wed Jun 3 22:31:21 PDT 2009

On Tue, Jun 2, 2009 at 4:32 PM, Pino Toscano <pino at kde.org> wrote:
> I reviewed, polished and pushed your patch, thanks!
> There were few quirks, but mostly small things (like indentation).
>
>> So far the thumbnail images seem to be 24-bit RGB; I don't know if
>> that's always going to be true.
>
> For now I left this assumption; but it should be checked which format is
> actually returned by Page::loadThumb(), and in case fill the QImage by
> adapting the input data.

Well at first glance it seemed that it would require looking at the
bytes-per-row (rowstride) and guessing which of the QImage-supported
formats.  Or is there a more direct way for poppler to specify what
image format it got?

>> I tested it by modifying the demo program to have a thumbnails dock
>> window, using the usual QTableView, which isn't so great because
>> QIcons in a QTableView are a rather tiny size by default, but at least
>> you can see that the thumbnails got generated correctly.  I will try
>> to use a QGraphicsView in my own program for that.
>
> I changed that by making use of QListWidget for it, should looks better now.
> Most probably can be improved, but at least as first approach works ;)

Cool.  Thanks for merging the patch.

I just got this project registered on SourceForge and checked in the
code and a screenshot:

https://sourceforge.net/projects/taborca/

So far it can view PDFs and you can reorder pages by drag-and-dropping
the thumbnails, but only virtually... there is no "save".  I will try
first to do it with pdftk, but I see there are other projects that
purport to be able to do this kind of re-arranging.

What would it take to add this ability to poppler, to save a PDF with
pages in a different order?