[poppler] Poor antialiasing of low-res image objects?

Ulrich Lukas stellplatz-nr.13a at datenparkplatz.de
Thu Jun 11 20:02:10 PDT 2009

Hi,

I'm not 100% sure if this issue has already been reported or fixed in
the most recent version, thus my question here:

I have several PDFs which consist of low-resolution scanned images.

These PDFs are rendered better and much more readable in Adobe Reader
(e.g. Version 8.1.3) than in Okular or in other applications using
libpoppler version 0.10.5.

The reason appears to me to be a much better antialiasing technique in
Adobe Reader.

Once again, this report does NOT concern the rendering of fonts, but the
rendering of images!

I've uploaded an example file and a screenshot with explanations for you:

http://datenparkplatz.de/DiesUndDas/poppler.adobe.comparison.jpg
http://datenparkplatz.de/DiesUndDas/af2.pdf

I'm using Ubuntu Jaunty 9.04 AMD64.

Should this go into a bugreport?