[poppler] Qt4 Arthur

Paul Gideon Dann pdgiddie at googlemail.com
Thu May 21 03:48:24 PDT 2009

On Wednesday 20 May 2009 23:25:01 Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> Can i have that pdf for local comparison?

Sorry, I'm afraid it's proprietary material.  (Probably shouldn't have used it
for comparison; oh well!)  It's my copy of "Agile Web Development with Rails".
I was reading it when I decided I had to get subpixel rendering working :)

However, you should be able to see the results in any PDF.

I've done further work on my patchset since my last e-mail.  After some
hunting, I discovered how to enable FreeType's default LCD filter (FIR5) in
the Cairo backend.  (By default Cairo uses the legacy version, hence the
colour fringing.)  This function (in patch 4) relies on the LCD filtering
patch for Cairo (http://aur.archlinux.org/packages/cairo-lcd/cairo-lcd/lcd-
filter.patch).

I've also added a further patch that enables slight hinting in the Cairo
backend.  This has been suggested elsewhere, and does seem to sharpen text up
a little.

Comparison of FIR5-filtered text with no hinting vs slight hinting:
No hinting: http://snurl.com/ihakt
Slight hinting: http://snurl.com/ihalk

Apologies for re-attaching the whole patchset -- I figured it would be cleaner
than trying to track changes I made in each patch.

Most of this patchset is of course a quick hack to achieve the desired effect,
but I do hope that the Cairo backend for Qt4 (patches 1+2) and the slight
hinting (patch 5) will be considered for merging.  The rest will hopefully be
helpful to anyone else wanting beautiful fonts in Okular right now.

Paul