[poppler] thumbnails

Leonard Rosenthol lrosenth at adobe.com
Wed May 20 11:54:54 PDT 2009

Because not all renderers are created equal - see the recent discussion on this list about color management...

On 5/20/09 12:44 PM, "Shawn Rutledge" <shawn.t.rutledge at gmail.com> wrote:

On Tue, May 19, 2009 at 7:56 PM, Leonard Rosenthol <lrosenth at adobe.com> wrote:
> Because in almost all cases the embedded thumbnails are NOT correct/current renderings of the pages - there has even been talk of deprecating the feature in ISO 32000, since as Albert says, no current reader uses them anyway.

I don't see why it shouldn't be more of a priority, both for readers
to use them and for editors (not that there are so many editors :-) to
keep them up-to-date when a page is changed.  For slow systems it's
more important.  Of course I'm thinking about largish scanned
documents here; if the document has enough structure, with the tree of
links to every section, then I wouldn't miss the thumbnails as much.

--
Leonard Rosenthol
PDF Standards Architect