[poppler] error: 'class PDFDoc' has no member named 'getPDFVersion'

Dominic Lachowicz domlachowicz at gmail.com
Thu Nov 12 09:11:02 PST 2009

On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 12:03 PM, Mathieu Malaterre
<mathieu.malaterre at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 12, 2009 at 5:48 PM, Dominic Lachowicz
> <domlachowicz at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Just because a method is included in the "public" part of the class
>> doesn't mean that it's part of poppler's supported, public API (i.e.
>
> Of course it is, this is exactly the definition. If you do not want to
> expose it, put it in the protected section and make class friend. This
> is basic C++.

Or, alternately, one could choose not to install the headers and mark
their use as "caveat emptor".

>> I believe that the recommended way of using poppler is through either
>> the Qt or Glib bindings.
>
> This has absolutely nothing to do here. This is a matter of respection
> versioning. Apparently work is properly done at library level and
> SONAME/SOVERSION have been updated, all I am looking for is the same
> at API level (ie. reflect the change of ABI/API, at code level).

If something is not considered to be part of the public API, then
there's nothing to respect. What you need to respect is what the
developers declare to be public, supported API. Which, in this case,
are the Glib and Qt bindings.

Best,
Dom