[poppler] Chinese characters broken

mpsuzuki at hiroshima-u.ac.jp mpsuzuki at hiroshima-u.ac.jp
Tue Aug 24 02:33:28 PDT 2010

Hi,

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 03:24:12 +0800 (CST)
ddreamer at ms93.url.com.tw wrote:
>One more hyperlink: http://www.nctu.edu.tw/intro/intro70.pdf (This is a map for school campus.
>There must be Chinese characters in the building blocks and in the roads when it is shown
>correctly in Xpdf ver.3.02. Again, Okular lose.)

Before giving many PDF links, I want to comment 2 points.

* Please don't mix different issues to one discussion.

Maybe you want to classify "cannot read Chinese text"
is single bug, but it is not. It is something like
a joke insist "free software has only one bug - it is
hard for me to substitute my Windows, it is only one
crucial bug".

The loss of the character completely in Okular, and
displayed but unreadable broken shape are different
issues.

* Please don't use higher layered application to test
poppler's behaviour. Using compact tools like poppler-utils
(pdftoppm, and forthcoming pdftocairo, etc) is better
to assure the behaviour of cairo.

Both of Evince and Okular use many many libraries, and
sometimes unwanted behaviour of them is unrelated with
poppler. This is my personal comment, tracing how such
huge applications invoke poppler is troublesome work.
In fact, I don't configure my GNOME or KDE environment
at all, and don't want to spend much time to simulate
your environment.

Regards,
mpsuzuki