[poppler] Chinese characters broken

mpsuzuki at hiroshima-u.ac.jp mpsuzuki at hiroshima-u.ac.jp
Tue Aug 24 07:20:52 PDT 2010

On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 13:53:55 +0000 (UTC)
JustFillBug <mozbugbox at yahoo.com.au> wrote:

>On 2010-08-24, mpsuzuki at hiroshima-u.ac.jp <mpsuzuki at hiroshima-u.ac.jp> wrote:
>> On Tue, 24 Aug 2010 14:27:46 +0900
>> mpsuzuki at hiroshima-u.ac.jp wrote:
>>>	/BaseFont	/LNQGRD+#b7s#b2#d3#a9#fa#c5#e9-WinCharSetFFFF-H
>>
>> The fontname is Big5 encoding for "新細明體",
>> This is Chinese family name for PMingLiU.
>> PMingLiU is blacklisted by FreeType2.
>> Maybe it is reasonable proposal to add non-ASCII
>> family names to the blacklist function in FreeType2.
>>
>> # BTW, in PMingLiU font file, this localized family
>> # name is coded by Unicode, not Big5. Maybe PDF
>> # generator reencode Big5 font name for the font
>> # designed for Traditional Chinese.
>>

>Or the blacklist should also be loaded from some on disk text files, such
>that whenever a user encounter the problem, he does not have to wait for
>a new release of freetype with updated blacklist. Just write the bad
>font name to the text file.

It's interesting idea. Who is the appropriate owner of
the blacklist?

1) FreeType
2) Poppler (or other rendering library)
3) Applications using Poppler
4) some desktop environment configuration manager (like GConf)

As I've posted before, (1) is difficult, because the embedded
font in PDF may lack the reliable identifier.

Regards,
mpsuzuki