[poppler] [patch] improving poppler performance

Reece Dunn msclrhd at googlemail.com
Tue Aug 24 16:11:29 PDT 2010

On 24 August 2010 23:56, Albert Astals Cid <aacid at kde.org> wrote:
> A Dilluns, 23 d'agost de 2010, Paweł Wiejacha va escriure:
>
>> 04_fast_indexed_dict_lookup.patch
>> Some PDFs contain large amounts (2000+) of Objects, e.g. publications
>> with plots (grid, samples, lines, bands, axes, legend, scales). This
>> results in 2000^2 strcmp() calls.
>> Now if Dict contains > 10 objects, object-key index is built to reduce
>> lookup time.
>
> Seems a good idea, but at the moment we have a policy of not using std:: so
> that would make the patch rejected. Will have a look to see how much we really
> win and if would make sense loosening that policy if the win is enough.

If indexing based on string name is a performance problem here it
would be better to use a hash map. This would require modifying Dict
to be a hash-based container, but should (a) be faster than a regular
std::map and (b) avoid pulling in std:: (few compilers provide a
hash-based container).

- Reece