[poppler] Building poppler-qt4 wrapper in windows vista with mingw and msys

carlos.rega at malvern.com carlos.rega at malvern.com
Thu Aug 26 05:56:41 PDT 2010

Hi, sorry if this is a silly question, I have been looking around the
mailing list and in google and can't find the answer.

I am trying to build poppler to be able to display pdf files in a small
bibliography application I have been writing.

My application is written with Qt4, and use the mingw/msys toolchain to
compile. When I run ./configure all seems to work fine, as the Makefiles
get generated. I can then build poppler with just a small tweak: I need to
remove the -ansi option from the compile line, otherwise strdup is not
visible to the compiler (I think this is a bug in mingw), and also need to
copy libstdc++.dll.a to libstdc++.dll.la (again, this seems to be related
to the way libtool works in mingw). With those minor glitches all builds
and the tests seem to work fine.

The problem I have now is that configure can't find my installation of QT.

I run configure as:

./configure --enable-poppler-qt4
POPPLER_QT4_CXXFLAGS=-I/c/Qt/4.6.2/include
POPPLER_QT4_CXXFLAGS=-L/c/Qt/4.6.2/lib

When it gets to detecting qt4 I get the following error:

configure:20472: checking for POPPLER_QT4
configure:20541: error: in `/c/Users/crega/workspace/poppler-0.14.2':
configure:20552: error: The pkg-config script could not be found or is too
old.  Make sure it
is in your PATH or set the PKG_CONFIG environment variable to the full
path to pkg-config.

Alternatively, you may set the environment variables POPPLER_QT4_CFLAGS
and POPPLER_QT4_LIBS to avoid the need to call pkg-config.

To get pkg-config, see <http://pkg-config.freedesktop.org/>.
See `config.log' for more details.

I have set the env variables in the call to configure, and checking in
config.log the variables are set, the Qt installation is working, because
I build my app with it, so I am at a loss how to build the Qt4 wrapper. I
would appreciate any pointers as to what I should try next.

Best Regards

Carlos

they are addressed.

originator of the message.

states them to be the views of Malvern Instruments.

http://www.malvern.com