[poppler] Poppler performance upgrade

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Thu Jul 29 11:11:55 PDT 2010

A Dijous, 29 de juliol de 2010, vidhyapria.arunkumar at nokia.com va escriure:
> Hello
>
> This is Vidhyapria from Nokia, we work on Office applications and use
> poppler for PDF documents. We had few performance issues on time taken to
> load the pdf documents and on discussing with poppler community members,
> we were asked to follow the below
>

> 1.      Switch from 0.12 to 0.14
>
> 2.      Use o3 build options to enable optimization
>
> 3.      Disable pattern rendering so that the performance  can be better
> when PDF with images are loaded
>
> We are done with switching from 0.12 to 0.14 version and we found the
> performance much better with loading the documents. But can anyone help us
> on elaborating points 2 and 3?
> How and where should these be handled ?

2) It depends on the build system you use, but both autotools and cmake have
ways to set the compiler flags, read their manuals, if you are not able to
understand how to do it, just edit the buildsystem files in poppler to set O3
instead of O2. Note that O3 does not necessarily mean faster than O2 but is
worth a try. I'd also make sure you pass the correct march when building.

3) wcgrep "patterns can be"
./Gfx.cc:1843:  // this is a bit of a kludge -- patterns can be really slow,
so we
./Gfx.cc:1870:  // this is a bit of a kludge -- patterns can be really slow,
so we

This is the area you are interested in. Which has nothing to do with images
but with patterns.

Albert