[poppler] [patch] fix qt3 detection bug

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Fri Mar 12 21:21:55 PST 2010

A Dissabte, 13 de març de 2010, Jan Engelhardt va escriure:
> On Friday 2010-03-12 22:20, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> >A Divendres, 12 de març de 2010, Jan Engelhardt va escriure:
> >> Testing for x86_64 goes horribly wrong on other 64-bit CPUs,
> >> and it is not even the right thing to do, since _directories_
> >> need not have _anything_ to do with _architectures_.
> >> Please, just don't do such junk.
> >
> >Please learn to speak respectuosly to people you don't know.
>
> With all due respect, it is within my rights to be able to criticize
> a project for their actions.
>
> I recognize that some people are overly sensitive when someone finds a
> bug in their precious contributions, but this has nothing to do with
> lack of respect. If you perceive it as such, apologies — I'm coming from
> a corner of software development where there's more list activity.
>
> It does not change the fact however that the code simply was technically
> incorrect. (I don't mean to imply that the patch is the holy grail,
> either.) Every developer produces bugs in projects alike (with a
> tendency to have them fixed before commit the more review there is, but
> that's an implementation detail) and all we can really do in the end is
> fix it, and move on.
>
> In the end, discussions will be forgotten and what counts to the outside
> is whether the issue at hand was fixed or not.

Quick summary:
 * Criticise does not mean being disrespectful. There's a big difference
between "This code does not work" and "This code is junk"
 * I didn't write the code so i'm not defending "my precious contributions"
(again you being aggressive without any need)
 * Bad words tend not to be forgotten, they accumulate and then i loose a
developer when the last drop fills the glass just because you did not want to
be respecful with others.

BTW i'm still waiting for a patch that applies to git master.