[poppler] Add trimbox support to pdftops

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sat Oct 30 11:42:22 PDT 2010

A Dissabte, 30 d'octubre de 2010, Benjamin Adler va escriure:
> On 10/30/2010 01:30 AM, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> >> because I don't really know what the desired behaviour is when
> >> "!useMediaBox&&  !crop" is passed.
> >
> > I think false, true and false, false actually create a very similar if
> > nto the same behaviour.
> >
> > But that leads me to the fact that (even if noone that we know was using
> > it), your current patch makes it impossible to get the same behaviour of
> > having useMediaBox = true and crop = true. Since that gave you a page as
> > big as the mediabox but the contents cropped to the cropbox, so i really
> > think the display methods should have two parameters
> >
> > Page::PageBox box, Page::PageBox cropBox
> >
> > that mimic exactly what the Gfx constructor parameters do, and we'd
> > probably need another value for the PageBox enum that would be something
> > like NoBox so you can pass it to boxToCrop if you don't want any
> > cropping (passing a null to Gfx).
> >
> > What do you think?
>
> Funny, I thought the same thing today. The way it is now really doesn't
> make any sense to me. With my patch as it is, the better description
> would probably be "clip painting to pagebox".
>
> I don't think we need a noBox value. When not specifying a crop-value,
> we use the box for the pagesize as cropbox (so no paint-cropping
> occurs). If no parameters are specified, we just use MediaBox for both.
> Of course, it wouldn't make any sense to use e.g. trimbox for pagesize
> and mediabox for cropping, but we could trim the cropping-box to the
> pagesize box before passing it on. Good?

What does "no parameters are specified" mean?

> Would it be ok for you to commit the patch as it is now, so I can work
> from there instead of fighting with git, or would you prefer one patch
> trying to get it right?

One patch done correctly, please.

> >> and modify callers accordingly. Do you agree?
> >
> > Please don't do any change to existing code unless it's totally
> > necessary.
>
> Oh. I was thinking about doing some more changes that would - in my eyes
> - simplify the code (e.g. not passing null to Gfx c'tor, but passing
> mediaBox instead). Are you worried about regressions, or whats the idea
> behind this?

Both regressions and less changes as possible so that if someday xpdf does a
new release it'll be as less painful as possible to merge the changes.

>  >> P.S: Sorry for making this a two-patch-mess, I need to learn git.
>  >
>  > That makes two of us ;-.)
>
> Then how do you send patches to poppler?

I don't send patches, i'm the maintainer so i commit right away ;-.)