[poppler] [patch] improving poppler performance

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Sun Sep 5 06:37:14 PDT 2010

A Dilluns, 23 d'agost de 2010, Paweł Wiejacha va escriure:
> Hi,
> 05_bigger_glyph_pixmap_cache.patch
> Previously glyph cache hit rate was about 10-20%. Increasing its size 6
> times (up to 1.5 MB additional memory) results in 30-60% hit rate and
> 3-12% performance increase.

I've commited a different approach for this that should almost not increase
memory usage.

My approach is increasing the cache size only for small fonts (those with
glyphsize < 128 or < 64)

My reasoning here is that if the fonts are big the will not be lots of them in
the same page (because they won't fit) thus the improvement given by
increasing the cache size won't be much in absolute time, that is, all the pdf
i have with "just text" on the page, render in 60ms, increasing the cache size
will give us a some speed increase, but 60ms is "fast enough".

The only "very font intensive" pdf i have found in my collection is the
firefox nytimes advertisement that has a HUGE amount of small text, thus my
change makes it go from 1500ms to 1250ms.

I've looked at the pdf you supplied and none of them seemed a very font
intensive file.

I'd love if anyone can supply a very font intensive pdf that is not the
firefox nytimes advertisement.