[poppler] Improvement of "Missing language pack" message?

suzuki toshiya mpsuzuki at hiroshima-u.ac.jp
Mon Dec 5 21:18:08 PST 2011

Hi all,

When poppler could not load the required mapping table resources,
is it an improvement to make the message telling the directory to
store the mapping files?

Recently, I saw a post from pdftotext user who was wondering
what should be done when pdftotext says "Missing language pack".

It is easy to tell "install poppler-data", but it is not so easy
to detect which directory to install it. Especially, when the user
is using a prebuilt binary without configuration information,
some try-and-error tests would be required. The vanilla installation
of poppler does not make the directory ${prefix}/share/poppler,
so there is no reliable mark.

I will try to make a patch to make "Missing language pack" more
verbose, with the pathname to install mapping files (some catch-ball
is required between GlobalParams and GfxFont class, because this
message is issued when no mapping table is found in cache). If it
is a bad idea, and won't be acceptable, please let me know.

Regards,
mpsuzuki