[poppler] Wrong hinting

Cedric Sodhi manday at gmx.net
Mon Feb 14 01:04:17 PST 2011

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 08:52:39AM +0000, Albert Astals Cid wrote:
> A Dilluns, 14 de febrer de 2011, Cedric Sodhi va escriure:
> > Hello,
> >
> > I hope you don't mind that I forward your message to the list. It is
> > very helpful to know that someone can reproduce this!
>
> You don't need to forward his message, it already got here.

When I pressed "L" for reply-all I got "No Mailing List found", so I
thought I'd resend it to the list.

> > I have two questions:
> >
> > What is poppler-utls? I don't have any such package in the Gentoo
> > repositories (only poppler and popplerdata installed).
>
> pdftoppm for example is part of poppler-utils, most likely part of poppler in
> gentoo.

I learned that poppler-utils is a debian package. pdftopp is part of
poppler in gentoo, yes.

> > What do you mean it should hopefully not be caused by FreeType2 Can we
> > still not agree that Freetype has no saying whatsoever on fonts which
> > are *embedded* with the document?
>
> No, we don't agree on that. Freetype obviously has a saying when the fonts are
> embedded in the document (what is going to render the fonts otherwise?) and
> would be in my mind on of the most probably things you want to have a look for
> this issue.

I found the following quote on the popper wiki [1]

"Poppler is using fontconfig to do the font searching on the system for
fonts that are not embedded into the pdf files. "

I'm perhaps wrong about how "Xft", "Xfd", "Fontconfig" and "Freetype"
relate. Is "Fontconfig" a part of "Xfd" and not "Xft" as I assumed? This
is really confusing...

As I ve said I tried all sort of variants in fontconfig, none of which
affected the rendering of the font in the document.

Can you please shed some light on this? I'm not sure we are on the same
page here.

> But of course before coming here i would make sure i have the latest poppler,
> freetype et all installed. You have not said which versions are you using, can
> you specify them?

[ebuild   R   ] app-text/poppler-data-0.4.4  4,078 kB
[ebuild   R   ] media-libs/freetype-2.4.3-r2  USE="X -auto-hinter*
                -bindist -debug -doc -fontforge -utils" 0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] x11-libs/cairo-1.10.2-r1  USE="X opengl svg xcb (-aqua)
                -debug -directfb -doc (-drm) (-gallium) (-openvg) -qt4
		-static-libs" 0 kB
[ebuild   R   ] x11-apps/xfd-1.1.0  119 kB
[ebuild   R   ] app-text/poppler-0.16.2  USE="abiword cairo cxx jpeg
                lcms png utils xpdf-headers -cjk -curl -debug -doc
		-exceptions (-introspection) -jpeg2k -qt4" 0 kB

As far as I checked the version of all these packages are correct.

Thank you for your help,

Cedric