[poppler] Wrong hinting

Cedric Sodhi manday at gmx.net
Mon Feb 14 01:17:32 PST 2011

On Mon, Feb 14, 2011 at 08:09:55PM +1100, Brad Hards wrote:
> On Monday, February 14, 2011 08:04:17 pm Cedric Sodhi wrote:
> > I'm perhaps wrong about how "Xft", "Xfd", "Fontconfig" and "Freetype"
> > relate. Is "Fontconfig" a part of "Xfd" and not "Xft" as I assumed? This
> > is really confusing...
> Fontconfig and freetype are orthogonal. Freetype is a renderer. Fontconfig is
> basically a configuration tool for finding things to send to freetype to get
> rendered.
>
> Xft is (probably) an X11 front end to freetype.
>
> Xfd (or xfd) is display utility, which has no effect here.

Thank you, I by now think that xfd is a deprecated mechanism of X.org to
render fonts serverside.

Given this explanation and the fact that fontconfig does not apply to
the embedded font, what other options are there to affect the way
Freetype renders the fonts? And, more importantly, why do only some
people (one on this list so far but many outside of the list) have this
problem?