[poppler] Wrong hinting

mpsuzuki at hiroshima-u.ac.jp mpsuzuki at hiroshima-u.ac.jp
Mon Feb 14 02:01:28 PST 2011

Hi,

On Mon, 14 Feb 2011 10:47:21 +0100
Cedric Sodhi <manday at gmx.net> wrote:
>Great! This is progressing quicker than I hoped. Thank you for your
>research. Let me sum this up:
>
>The font is embedded, so poppler does NOT use fontconfig to determine
>whether to hint and/or antialias the font but instead uses the
>information embedded to determine that.

Correct.

>The font is passed to FT, with, in this case, AA and Hinting enabled.

About this process, further investigation is needed.
I think, CairoOutput of the poppler disables the hinter
by default. I'm afraid that there can be something wrong
in FreeType2.

Regards,
mpsuzuki

CairoFontEngine.cc:
    166 static GBool
    167 _ft_new_face_uncached (FT_Library lib,
    168                        const char *filename,
    169                        char *font_data,
    170                        int font_data_len,
    171                        FT_Face *face_out,
    172                        cairo_font_face_t **font_face_out)
    173 {
    185   font_face = cairo_ft_font_face_create_for_ft_face (face,
    186                                                           FT_LOAD_NO_HINTING |
    187                                                           FT_LOAD_NO_BITMAP);

    265 static GBool
    266 _ft_new_face (FT_Library lib,
    267               const char *filename,
    268               char *font_data,
    269               int font_data_len,
    270               FT_Face *face_out,
    271               cairo_font_face_t **font_face_out)
    272 {
    348   l->font_face = cairo_ft_font_face_create_for_ft_face (tmpl.face,
    349                                                           FT_LOAD_NO_HINTING |
    350                                                           FT_LOAD_NO_BITMAP);