[poppler] Radial shading in poppler

Andrea Canciani ranma42 at gmail.com
Mon Jan 17 06:45:37 PST 2011

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 11:33 AM, Thomas Freitag
<Thomas.Freitag at kabelmail.de> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> It's once again me, this time without a patch :-). I just want to discuss
> some open issues that come into my mind after sleeping one night over it,
> and this don't really depends completely on radial shading in Splash,
> therefore I open a new thread:
>
> After digging really deep into radial shadings the last four weeks there are
> still a few open issues left:
>
> I. Gfx::doRadialShFill
> There were three different problems /  bugs which causes me to spend that
> enormous time implementing radial shading in Splash (probably wouldn't have
> done it, if I could estimate that before :-) ):
> a) Rendering artefacts because of overlapping circle clipping pathes in
> http://www.acquerra.com.au/poppler/img_0.pdf
> b) wrong calculation of extension range causing rendering regressions in
> https://bugs.freedesktop.org/attachment.cgi?id=41506
> c) wrong implementation of drawing larger extension circles causing
> rendering regressions in the same PDF
> These three problems cause rendering regression in each OutputDev which
> hasn't implented radialShadedFill by its own or if in case it has
> implemented it, it returns gFalse (this fits to CairoOutputDev, which uses
> its implementation just to setup some datastructure but let the rendering
> done by Gfx::doRadialShFill).
> I myself encounter three main output devices:
> 1. PSOutputDev implements radialShadedFill and therefore does not have the
> problems ahead (of course could have some other problems with it, but that's
> then a problem of its own implementation)
> 2. SplashOutputDev implements radialShadedFill now by its own and will not
> have these problems anymore after one of my patches will be committed.
> 3. CairoOutputDev will still have these problems.
> So have a quick look at CairoOutputDev. In my opinion there are two possible
> solutions for solving that:
> a) CairoOutputDev implements radialShadedFill by itself. I'm not deep enough
> in cairo to determine if this could be a possible way, perhaps with some
> hints from me and / or Andrea.

I'd be happy to try and help here. I don't know poppler internals, but
I should know cairo fairly well. I can already point out that cairo can draw
PDF type 2 shadings, but it requires the color function to be piecewise
linear.

> But if this would be too heavy and / or the rendering regressions with the
> first PDF (see here the wine glass) would be acceptable, I could suggest
> another way:
> b) I correct the bugs two and three in Gfx::doRadialShFill, the first one is
> unfortunately not correctable in Gfx. The second bug is simply correctable
> by a code fragment that already comes from cairo, which I already use
> adapted successfully in my both patches for splash, for the third bug I
> could adapt the different way of drawing larger extension circles of my
> patch from saturday (therefore, once again, Albert, this is an additional
> reason for regtest this older patch, too).
>
> II. Speed an quality using radial shading in Splash:
> I uploaded last weekend two patches for it with two different implementation
> methods. The patch from sunday has definitely a better quality but in a very
> few cases sucks in rendering speed than the patch from saturday, which on
> the other hand has a poorer quality. Perhaps we can find somehow a threshold
> value on which we can decide, wether method should be used. This could be an
> additional reason to regtest both patches, but commit only the patch from
> sunday with the "undef"ed code so that it would be easy to implement this
> new behaviour later on.

I did some profiling and it looks like the problem is probably not in the
implementation of the parameter computation, but in the conversion of
the parameter to a color.
I profiled pdftoppm on http://www.acquerra.com.au/poppler/img_0.pdf and
found that about 37% of the time is spent in GfxAxialShading::getColor
and about 45% in GfxRadialShading::getColor.

I think that this can be improved by avoiding to fully evaluate the function
for each parameter value. Instead the function could be modified to return
a range in which a linear approximation is considered acceptable (for example
because the error would be below a chosen tolerance) and getColor could
cache this interval and avoid evaluating the function whenever the parameter
value is in its range.

A similar approach could be used to fix the Cairo backend (and to improve
its quality, too), because if functions were able to provide piecewise linear
approximations of their colors, the approximation could be directly fed into
cairo in the form of color stops.

Additional notes:
It looks like axial has the same performance problem as radial. You did not
have this performance problem with the bresenham rasterizer because
it evaluates the color function less times than the backward rasterizer.

In my profile, 70% of the time is spent in PostScriptFunction::transform.
It looks like it tries to do some caching, but it looks like it is not doing it
in an effective way (commenting the cache-related code in
PostScriptFunction::transform without even removing the cache data
structure and initialization elsewhere gives a small speed boost instead
of causing a slowdown). Replacing this cache with an interval-based cache
would probably be very effective in speeding up the Splash backend,
but it would still require additional code for the linear approximation
required by Cairo.

> I need not necessarily do the work of I or II, but if the community means
> that I should do that, I suggest we open a new bug with this two PDF. I
> worked nearly every free minute on solving the problems in splash the last
> four weeks, and the patch is still not committed and there could of course
> be some work left (hopefully none or only a few), so I want to take time
> out, and therefore a bug report is reasonable.

I agree, I think that this is not actually the same bug but more of a
performance
glitch of Function (and/or of its usage).

I can try to implement what I have proposed so far, but I might need
some guidance. Are there any objections/suggestions/complaints
regarding my plan?
In particular, is something in poppler relying on PostScriptFunction
being cached?

Andrea