[poppler] optimized pdf rendering

Harry Roberts harry at midnight-labs.org
Wed Jan 26 12:22:37 PST 2011

I've had a very good experience with Poppler overall doing something
relatively similar to your idea.

Caching PDFDoc objects is an OK start, in some cases I've had it take
minutes to load a large document (1gb+) and overall they don't take much
memory to keep around (e.g. you could keep a fairly large number in a LRU
cache).

I would really recommend performing a large-size rendering once for each
page requested and caching on disk (as a PNG/JPEG) and resizing on the fly
to match the dimensions requested, the initial rasterization process is the
most CPU intensive process while resizing a PNG/JPEG is a predictable, easy
to cache and constant time.