[poppler] Found PDF which causes hangs

Harry Roberts harry at midnight-labs.org
Wed Jul 13 05:16:18 PDT 2011

I found a page in a PDF causes Poppler to get stuck in an infinate loop
while rendering.
The same PDF renders fine in Acrobat, Apple Preview and Google Chrome -
while Poppler just hangs.

The PDF can be downloaded from:
http://midnight-labs.org/temp/hangs-poppler.pdf (2.5mb)
This was extracted using pdftk (iText), the pages either side of it rendered
fine.

I've tested against todays git checkout and a ~1 month old snapshot of
Poppler on Linux, and Poppler 0.16.6 (from MacPorts) on Mac.

The common backtrace I've found, even after 20+ minutes of running is:
  #12 0x0808958c in Gfx::display ()
  #13 0x0808c777 in Gfx::doForm1 ()
  #14 0x0808d5bd in Gfx::doTilingPatternFill ()
  #15 0x080919bd in Gfx::doPatternFill ()
  #16 0x08092128 in Gfx::opFill ()
  #17 0x08089158 in Gfx::go ()
  #18 0x0808958c in Gfx::display ()
  #19 0x080c65b5 in Page::displaySlice ()

I'll file a BugZilla report later today when I've had a better look at it,
and I'm happy for the PDF to be used for regression testing etc.