[poppler] Direct Poppler access without frontend allowed?

Albert Astals Cid aacid at kde.org
Wed May 11 12:43:45 PDT 2011

A Wednesday, May 11, 2011, Andreas Butti va escriure:
> Hello everybody

Hi

> I'm working on a new Xournal version (Xournal++, not yet present on a
> webpage, only in the SVN).
>
> I used Poppler to display PDF and also for PDF export, to implement the
> PDF export (merging two PDFs together) I access Poppler without any
> frontend.
>
> I'm working on Ubuntu, which contain all necessary headers, but other
> distributions don't.
>
> Now there is a discussion if it's allowed to access Poppler without
> frontend, or not.
>
> I thought it should be allowed, because on the poppler Wiki are also two
> projects listed which access poppler without frontent,
>
> But now I need a clear answer if it's allowed or not, and if not if
> there is another way for me to implement this without breaking any rules.

It is not encouraged since we reserve the right to change the API (and do so)
at any release (minor versions included) while our API in the frontends is
much more stable.

If you tell us what you are missing from the public frontend API we might add
it, or you might even contribute the code you have that uses the internal API
so we add it to our frontend ;-)

Albert