[poppler] Direct Poppler access without frontend allowed?

jose.aliste at gmail.com jose.aliste at gmail.com
Thu May 12 11:31:31 PDT 2011

Hi,

On Thu, May 12, 2011 at 12:36 AM, Andreas Butti <andreasbutti at gmail.com> wrote:
> Ok, I can provide my code, but I need some help to complete integrate with
> Poppler.
>
> What I did now:
> I have two PDFs, one for background and one for the foreground, like two
> slides on a overhead projector, the second slide is on top of the first
> slide. Sometimes there are two pages, 1 foreground and one background,
> sometimes there is only one PDF.
> Not all source PDFs are used always, and sometimes PDF Pages are used twice.
>

> My code does the following:
>
> Extract the contents stream of the pages
> Append the stream from one page to the other page
>
> update all references, e.g. images and fonts, because /F1 in one document is
> may not the same font than /F1 in the other document
>
> Write outlines to the document (they have to be created by the application,
> because if there are pages inserted / deleted, I cannot use the original
> outlines)
> Write metadata (Creator, Autor, Creationdate etc.)
There is a patch to poppler-glib bindings to add write/edit  metadata
in bugzilla. The patch is not ready yet, but help with that would be
appreciated I think.

> Writeout the document to a file
>
> Create new XREF table
> compress the contents of the pages with GZ
>
> My application is mostly written in C++, but I use GTK (no discussion about
> this combination;-)).
>
> So I first used the GLib frontend, but there I had problems with searching,
> and I cannot access the underlying poppler objects.
So I guess it makes sense to use the glib frontend as you are using
GTK. If there are things that the glib frontend does not support, then
you should feel free to file bugs and attach patches to implement the
api you are missing. Normally, you need to divide your patches in two
parts, first, a core part if the functionality you want to add is not
already present in the core poppler, and two the glib part that gives
you access to this functionality from the glib frontend.

> The Question is now which frontend I should use.
>

> In my opinion, the best solution is may to create a new frontend, e.g. a
> PDF-editing frontend?
>
> Because then it's possible to change some behaviour, and add other things,
> like:
>
> Edit text within PDF documents (not add, add is no problem with merging)
> Delete objects from a PDF (e.g. select a rectangle and delete all objects
> within this rectangle)
> Copy objects

as I pointed above, the best thing is to submit bugs/attach patches to
poppler-core/ and poppler-glib to make this happen. As Albert pointed
out, you don't really need a new frontend, but instead to add some API
to the poppler-glib one. For instance, the poppler-glib frontend
already supports adding annotations, and as I mentioned, there is a
patch to support editing the metadata.

Greetings,

José