[poppler] GooString — Why do we use it instead of std::string?

Maciej Mrozowski reavertm at gmail.com
Fri Nov 4 15:41:02 PDT 2011

On Friday 04 of November 2011 06:43:00 Alec Taylor wrote:
> Good evening,
>
> Why should I use GooString instead of std::string?
>
> I've been very careful so far with my patches to only using GooString.
> But I was wondering if there is a specific added feature set (i.e.
> UTF16) which can only be achieved with your custom GooString library.
>
> Thanks for all information,

As far as presence of GooString in public API is concerned, I guess it comes
from the fact (or FUD otherwise) that putting template C++ classes in public
API is considered ABI-unsafe (easier to break). And while there aren't any
issues with STL in this regard recently, Boost for instance would be a
different story.
So GooString would be safe alternative.

--
regards