[poppler] Fixing bug 36111

Josh Richardson jric at chegg.com
Mon Nov 14 17:38:14 PST 2011

There is a bunch of code to load, and where there is none, or there are
holes, it will guess the unicode mapping, and where that fails it will map
to the "private" unicode space.  This code is in the Gfx8BitFont
constructor.  I have recently made a number of modifications (which I can
share on request) to ensure that each character code is mapped uniquely,
and is optionally mapped only to a single Unicode character (i.e. the fl
ligature is not mapped to f and l, but the unicode 0xFB02.

If the unicode mapping functionality is useful elsewhere in the codebase,
then we may want to factor it out of the constructor of Gfx8Bit, or
perhaps it would be good enough to construct a font, and use the resulting
unicode mapping.  Maybe I'm missing the whole point, but just wanted to
let you know about this.

--josh