[poppler] track build version in output

Josh Richardson jric at chegg.com
Fri Oct 7 12:47:18 PDT 2011

Hey Popplers,

Wondering if anyone else would find it useful….

When I generate some content with pdftohtml, I'd like it to also spit out the build version with the content so I can keep track of which version of the software produced which content.  I'm guessing that this might be useful in other utilities also.

In any case, I wanted to share my plan before I undertake:

1. Modify poppler cmake system;

 *   add a new configure flag, INCLUDE_VERSION_IN_OUTPUT
 *   when set, run "git describe" on the repo when running a make

2. Use perl to insert the output of "git describe" into new header file that's not checked into GIT.
3. Make sure that .gitignore is set for the new header file; call the new header file VERSION.h
4. Conditionally include VERSION.h into the pdftohtml.cc build; could later be added to other utils
5. Modify pdftohtml.cc to spit out the version number into the output directory as a new file, "poppler-version.txt", when INCLUDE_VERSION_IN_OUTPUT is configured in the poppler build.

Please let me know if you have any feedback.

Thanks, --josh