[poppler] qt3 frontend

Mihamina Rakotomandimby mihamina at rktmb.org
Mon Sep 19 01:15:59 PDT 2011

On 09/17/2011 03:40 AM, Ilya Chernykh wrote:
>>> I think for openSUSE at least this is not exactly the case because I think
>>> KDE3 will be back in the upcoming release after a gap of 4 releases.
>> Trolltech/Nokia declared Qt3 dead and it has known bugs and security issues
> Trinity project picked up qt3 and included it in their SVN. They already made
> two minor releases.

Trinity is not OpenSUSE.
Also, when you assume something, please tell your sources.
I follow (not tightly) the OpenSUSE-dev ML and see no concrete
affirmation about that Qt3 story.

>>> Can you please check if it builds well against 0.18 without much effort?
>>> If may you simply include it into the package or as a separate tarball?
>> No, you want it, you do it.
> Can you please tell how to build poppler-qt separately of poppler?

Take an "old" src.rpm from your favorite distribution (semms to be
OpenSUSE) and see how.

>>> Actually I am not sure how I can extract poppler-qt3 from an existing
>>> package and build it agains poppler from another package... And also
>>> probably the distro will not accept a package which is hacked rather than
>>> comes from the devs.
>> That is your problem, not ours, we do not have the capacity to maintain
>> useless code around.
> Why useless if many people use it?

Usefullness is not only about the number of people using it.

My own opinion on Trinity is they'd better make the effort to contribute
on KDE4/Qt4 instead of the -1 version. I feel the same with those guys
working on the GNOME2 continuation.

--
RMA.