[poppler] DeviceN support in splash

Thomas Freitag Thomas.Freitag at kabelmail.de
Thu Aug 2 00:52:35 PDT 2012

Am 01.08.2012 23:04, schrieb Albert Astals Cid:
> El Divendres, 13 de juliol de 2012, a les 11:07:04, Thomas Freitag va
> escriure:
>> Hi,

>>> Thanks for the reminder, it's actual the 3rd point on my poppler time
>>> schedule:
>>> 1. The highest priority has a reliable patch for bug 49523, because we
>>> should render PDFs again we already could render prior 19.0. I already
>>> prepared a new patch, but I need to regtest it. Hopefully I can upload
>>> it thursday morning.
>> Thanks for commiting!
>>
>>> 2. The next point is the revised blend mode implementation in splash
>>> CMYK (also needed for DeviceN)
>> Just mailed.
>>
>>> 3. Then I'll plan to send a rebased patch for the DeviceN support in
>>> splash.
>> Okay, would be the next point, after You commited patch for point 2 (or
>> reject it, but I'm quite sure that this will not be the case). But
>> because there is a lot of time went by: Do You think You're able to
>> check the patch before releasing 0.22.0? Otherwise I could continue with
> We don't have a date for 0.22 yet (bad Albert, bad!) so i think i could,
> depending on how big you think it's going to be :D
>
>> 1. Enhancement for thin lines (bug #37347)
>>
>> That patch is much smaller than DeviceN support in splash, but will
>> cause a lot of time for regtesting (remember: round about 36 % of output
>> will change)
>>
>> or
>>
>> 2. Make page rendering thread safe (bug #50992)
>>
>> Also a smaller patch. But here I have another small problem: To test
>> that the patch will make page rendering thread safe, I made several
>> changes in pdftoppm but only for the windows platform. Of course I could
>> do that for unix, too. But do we really need multi threading in
>> pdftoppm? In our regtest we already speed it up with starting two
>> processes, one for odd and one for even pages. If I now change pdftoppm
>> to use multiple threads, it could slow down (I'm not sure, haven't
>> tested that, just a guess) our regtest a little bit because of the
>> overhead of thread handling on a dual core machine (but definetely will
>> speed it up on a quad core machine).
>> Or should I spend an additional option to use more than one thread?
> i don't think adding threading to pdftoppm makes much sense (other than for
> testing but for that you probably want a simpler, with less options/parameters
> code)
>
> Whatever you decide to work it's up to you, your time, your work, you decide
> :-)
I changed my mind: I'll generate a different patch for each point (thin
lines, thread safe, and DeviceN) based on actual git master in the next
few days. Then it's up to You where You want to begin and try to merge
them :-) (Of  course I'll create a rebased patch for any of them after
You commit one of them if necessary).

Cheers,
Thomas