[poppler] Migrating poppler to liblcms2 from liblcms1

Till Kamppeter till.kamppeter at gmail.com
Sat Jan 21 13:16:00 PST 2012

[ Please always "Reply to all", I am not subscribed. ]

Hi,

I only want to say that liblcms1 is not maintained any more upstream and
has a lot of crash bugs (possible security vulnerabilities).

The replacement is liblcms2 and to get something more reliable,
maintained and supported, we are migrating to liblcms2 at Ubuntu:

https://bugs.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/poppler/+bug/885324

I think this migration should also be done with Poppler upstream, as
having a reliable crash-free Poppler is more important than being 5-10 %
faster. Most users do not perceive if their PDF rendering takes 5-10 %
more time, but they will perceive when less crashes happen. Also
security fixes will get rolled out more quickly if a library is
maintained upstream.

Also the color accuracy (and that is what Color Management is about) is
much better with liblcms2.

So I highly recommend to pass Poppler upstream to liblcms2 (and note
that the patch does not drop the liblcms1 support).

    Till