[poppler] rotated/downsampled images

Thomas Freitag Thomas.Freitag at kabelmail.de
Sat Jul 28 00:33:38 PDT 2012

Hi Arpit & Bill!

In a quite short period You both offer to implement a better algorithm
for rotated / scaled images than the Bresenham algorithm, one of You
wants to implement the bilinear, the other the bicubic interpolation.
Would be funny to see, which one is the better compromise between speed
and quality.
In splash always the scaling of an image is done first with
Splash::scaleImage, and then the scaled image will be rotated in i.e.
Splash::arbitraryTransformImage. So this is the place where You can
implement a new algorithm.
I know, that we get sometimes a poor quality for slightly rotated
images, see i.e the wheels in
http://www.it.piaggio.com/media/mp3hybdepita.pdf on the first page, and
therfore it would be nice to have a better algorithm. But we must keep
the speed in mind, because poppler is often used to display a PDF in
time under unix. If You need any assistance, i.e. proof Your new
implemented code with a lot of PDF, I'm willing to support You.

Cheers,
Thomas