[poppler] Splash output quality (rotated/downsampled images)

Bill Williamson billhatesspam at yahoo.com
Tue Jun 19 17:18:56 PDT 2012

I'm interested in improving poppler's splash image rendering. I've noticed it doesn't do a great job with rotated or downscaled images. You can see a lot of jagged edges and aliasing issues depending on the rescaling factor. This is true even with the command line anti-aliasing options enabled.

At first glance, it looks like we are using Bresenham's line drawing algorithm to draw lines from image objects onto the output image. Does anyone have any suggestions or good ideas for improving this code? I was thinking of bicubic interpolation on the image objects to smooth things out a bit, but wanted to elicit some advice before starting.

-Bill