[poppler] Poppler 0.19.1 (0.20 Beta 1) released

Thomas Freitag Thomas.Freitag at kabelmail.de
Tue Mar 20 08:38:44 PDT 2012

Am 19.03.2012 13:21, schrieb Carlos Garcia Campos:
> Excerpts from Thomas Freitag's message of lun mar 19 08:05:18 +0100 2012:
>> Am 16.03.2012 16:08, schrieb Carlos Garcia Campos:
>>> The xpdf303 merge introduced some regressions in the cairo backend,
>>> I'll try to find some time this weekend to send more details to the list.
>> Seems as if You haven't found the time to take a deeper look into
>>> it.
> Yes, sorry. I wanted to run git bisect to find the commits that
> introduced the regressions, but there are several revisions where the
> build is broken, which makes a bit more difficult to run git bisect. I
> haven't still had time to run it, so I'll just give you the pdf files
> failing.
>
>> So
>> here just hint: if it comes from the part I merged, I see two possibilities:
>> 1. Radial shading
>> I wasn't able to merge the changes in the xpdf algorithm in the Gfx area
>> for radial shading with our algorithm. I took over the xpdf algorithm in
>> the hope that it fixes some regressions in the cairo backend and made
>> only a few tests. These tests showed neither an enhancement nor a new
>> regression, but I let the xpdf algorithm in. If this change causes a
>> regression in the cairo backend with PDF I haven't tested, we can revert
>> that change: No one of our backends uses the Gfx algorithm anymore
>> beside the cairo backend, all other backends implements the radial
>> shading by itself.
> Yes, that's seems to be the case of duck and roses, ClarityOCGs and
> 3e2247elecciones_01p
>
> You already have ducks and roses, ClarityOCGs is in
> http://acroeng.adobe.com/Test_Files/OCG/ and 3e2247elecciones_01p is
> attached.
>
>> 2. Text rendering, especially output text in pattern colorspace
>> Rendering text in pattern colorspace was now also introduced by xpdf,
>> and it was a much cleaner and more understandable solution than mine.
>> But therefore I needed to change every backend to support the new
>> solution. It was quite easy for me to change it in the postscript and
>> the splash backend where I understand what these backends are doing. I
>> thought that I also understood what I need to change in the cairo
>> backend and did it. I made a complete regtest in the spash backend, but
>> only a few tests in postscript and cairo backend to see if my changes
>> work at all, but of course it's possible that there were some
>> misunderstanding from me especially in the cairo backend.
> Not sure this is the case, but there are several regressions related
> to text rendering:
>
> pdf_commenting_new.pdf, pdf_drawing_new.pdf and pdf_filler_new.pdf use
> a different font. You can just google for these files.
I started with this problem and encountered that we introduce a problem
with base14 fonts. I solved that, the patch is attached. It happens only
on unix with fontconfig.

> prosper-tour.pdf renders text in itallic in page 8. You can also
> google for this file.
To be honest, I google for it, download it, but the regression test
succeeded, i.e. shows now differences. I attach the output of page 8
from revision 92ce79.

> microtype.pdf, incorrectly places text, you can find this one in
> http://acroeng.adobe.com/Test_Files/OCG/ too.
This will probably hard to find, I think I first have a look at the
shading problems. (BTW, happens in splash, too). I'm in vacation now,
but have a lot of other things to do, therefore it could take a while.

BTW, the attached patch is not completely regtested, only against the
PDF files You mentioned. I'll make a complete regtest when I solved all
problems.

Thomas