[poppler] pdftohtml Incorrect Text Positioning

Matthew Blancarte matt at highlighter.com
Thu May 3 18:36:25 PDT 2012

For all versions of Poppler pdftohtml I've tried (0.17+), I'm getting a text position problem that mostly affects the x-axis.

See a screenshot here http://screencast.com/t/4NuamV7FuEw

I haven't been able to pinpoint the problem within HtmlOutputDev.cc (where I assume the problem stems from). Does this positioning error have to do with the use of subscript/superscripts, or perhaps invalid characters? It seems to calculate too much right absolute positioning… I've never seen it use too little.

I'm using the following command: pdftohtml -c file.pdf index.html

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!