[poppler] JNI interface for poppler

Thomas Freitag Thomas.Freitag at kabelmail.de
Sat May 26 23:16:35 PDT 2012

Hi all,

I'm wondering a little bit why all threads with the theme "Using poppler
in java" seems to run in a dead end. Is it
a) because the poppler community has no interests?
b) because the people opening the threads are not willing to work on it?
c) because they are opening new projects which are not supported by poppler?
If a) is the case stop reading, if c) is the case (but I haven't found
one) I would be really surprised, because it is in the nature of JNI
interfaces they should be supported by the C/C++ developpers: One good
reason is that C/C++ interface functions could be changed between
versions and it is annoying to keep after in this case the poppler
versions, another good reason is that a lot of C/C++ libraries uses
error exits / error handler which is hard to support in a JNI library
(throwing / catching exceptions is nearly impossible in a JNI library,
an exit would cause the java application to die, too), and at least the
jpeg library and the lcms library used by poppler have these kind of
error handler.
If b) is the case, okay, I'm willing to start a JNI project. I'm
thinking of start with something like the cpp by Pino in Java, but I
would first like to gather some requests what should be possible in a
Java interfaces. Another idea could be creating a FOP extension based on
poppler, I had some bad experiences with using PDFBox, i.e. endless
loops if I just want to extract the text from a PDF document.

Cheers,
Thomas