[poppler] Annotation interoperability

Fabio D'Urso fabiodurso at hotmail.it
Thu Oct 4 02:48:30 PDT 2012

On Thursday, October 04, 2012 08:11:16 AM Adam Reichold wrote:
> I think, at least for me, changing #2 would break application
> behaviour: I currently try to avoid the problem by cropping the
> boundary selected by the user to 24x24 at 72dpi and transform it in the
> same way as the page itself so that it matches the icon size. (Which I
> thought was implied by giving it in normalized coordinates.)

Given the current implementation, I think you're doing it right.
Who's doing it wrong is Okular, that assumes 24x24 *pixels*.

> [...]
> P.S.: Obviously, I am not respecting the FixedSize or FixedRotation
> flags. Does Poppler? Maybe those could be use to convey the scaling
> that is done internally?

Looking at the code it seems that Poppler ignores these flags during text
annotation rendering, but always tells clients that they are set, regardless
of the actual value in the PDF file.
Since the PDF specs say that text annotations shall behave as if NoZoom and
NoRotate were always set (12.5.6.4), I guess it makes sense.

Fabio