[poppler] Patches for form choice fields

Fabio D'Urso fabiodurso at hotmail.it
Sat Oct 13 18:21:18 PDT 2012


the attached patches fix some issues I've found testing form code on the 
attached testcase (http://www.pureforms.com/Products/DEMO/WebDemo/WebToDB.pdf)

With the patches from the other mail (thread "Filled text field data not 
visible in saved document"), non-choice fields already work properly and 
their contents can be read from acroread. Patches in this message must be 
applied on top of patch "AnnotWidget: Avoid repeatedly [..]" from that thread.

These patches are focused on the two choice fields at the bottom of 
the first page.


The first patch fixes a wrong index variable used to scan the list of the 
elements that are initially selected (/V property) in case of multiple 
selection. This issue makes Poppler crash.
Steps to reproduce: Open the attached document, select two items in the choice 
field on the right (eg 'Item 3' and 'Item 4'), save to PDF. Poppler crashes 
when opening the resulting PDF document.


This patch makes it possible to see what item(s) is/are selected when you open 
the resulting PDF in acroread. Without this patch, acroread always displays 
"Blank equivalent" in the field on the left, and initially always selects 
"Blank equivalent" if you try to edit the field on the right.
This patch adds support to write the /I field, which is the list of the 
indices of the selected items. According to PDF specs, it is mandatory only 
under some circumstances, but tests showed that acroread always require it.

- How to reproduce the issue in the field on the left:
Steps: Open the attached document, select "Mars", save. Acroread still shows 
"Blank equivalent" instead of "Mars".
With the patch: Acroread now shows "Mars" and the entry is highlighted in the 
dropdown list.

- How to reproduce the issue in the field on the right:
Steps: Open the attached document, select "Item 3", save. Acroread correctly 
highlights "Item 3" but if you try to add "Item 1" (CTRL+click) then you see 
"Item 3" deselected and "Blank equivalent" selected instead. Actually, 
acroread has never thought of Item 3 being selected, it just showed it black 
because the appearance stream generated by Poppler (thanks to patches from the 
other thread) told it so.
With the patch: The same sequence of steps results in both "Item 1" and "Item 
3" being selected in acroread.


Refactoring of code that converts optionName strings to UTF16 in 
FormFieldChoice. Needed for the next patch.

Note that optionName strings were not converted to UTF16 if /V was neither an 
String nor an Array. Since in a valid document /V is always either String or 
Array, I assumed it was an error in the original code. Now the conversion is 
always done, regardless of the /V object type.


This last patch adds support to read the /I field, so that we can properly 
read back forms filled by Poppler itself. Without this patch, Poppler only 
*shows* selected values (because that's what the appearance stream says), but 
doesn't detect them.
Steps to reproduce (in Okular): Select something, save, open the resulting 
document in Okular, activate edit mode, notice that the selection is lost.

Actually, we already have code to parse /V and find out what items are 
selected, but it doesn't work properly with documents filled by Poppler 
itself because we write UTF16-converted strings in /V but, when opening a 
document, we compare /V against entries in /Opt, that are in PdfDocEncoding. 
Thus, these tests always fail.

I could have changed this piece of code to make it aware of different 
encodings but it seemed to me that reading /I is a more robust option for two 
 - it better deals with duplicate items (ie items with the same value)
 - foxit reader stores the wrong value in /V: it writes what we call
   "exportVal" instead of what we expect ("optionName"). The /I field is
   always correct instead.

If /I is not available, the patch falls back to existing code that parses /V.

Note for reviewers: In patch 0004 I've only added a few lines, the rest is 
just indentation change.

In general choice fields are expected to be fully working now, with the 
exception of editable combobox fields, ie those where you can either select a 
predefined value or type your own. At least using okular, custom values don't 
work yet. I'll have a look at this issue tomorrow.

Please let me know if you find any other issue.

Thank you,
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: WebToDB.pdf
Type: application/pdf
Size: 84033 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/poppler/attachments/20121014/2e344a4e/attachment-0001.pdf>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: 0001-FormFieldChoice-ctor-Fixed-wrong-index-variable.patch
Type: text/x-patch
Size: 880 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/poppler/attachments/20121014/2e344a4e/attachment-0004.bin>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: 0002-Write-I-field-in-FormFieldChoice-updateSelection.patch
Type: text/x-patch
Size: 2268 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/poppler/attachments/20121014/2e344a4e/attachment-0005.bin>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: 0003-FormFieldChoice-ctor-Separated-V-parsing-and-UTF16-s.patch
Type: text/x-patch
Size: 2193 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/poppler/attachments/20121014/2e344a4e/attachment-0006.bin>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: 0004-FormFieldChoice-ctor-If-I-is-present-use-it-instead-.patch
Type: text/x-patch
Size: 2682 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <http://lists.freedesktop.org/archives/poppler/attachments/20121014/2e344a4e/attachment-0007.bin>

More information about the poppler mailing list