[poppler] Patches for form choice fields

Fabio D'Urso fabiodurso at hotmail.it
Sun Oct 14 08:55:49 PDT 2012

On Sunday, October 14, 2012 04:27:49 PM Leonard Rosenthol wrote:
> I haven't looked at the file or the issue, but since you mentioned
> encoding, I can point out that the handling of values for encodings can
> indeed vary and based on the field types.  The details are all as
> specified in 32K-1:2008, but you may need to read carefully.

Hi Leonard,

I don't think it's an encoding issue (well, at least encoding is not the main
problem here).

The more I test and the more I'm convinced that acroread and the specs don't
agree on the following paragraph :D

In particular, I'm in front of 32K-1:2008 and I read:

12.7.4.4 - last paragraph:
«V is a text string representing the name of the selected item, as given in
the field dictionary's Opt array. If multiple items are selected, V is an
array of such strings. (For items represented in the Opt array by a two-
element array, the name string is the second of the two array elements.)»

My tests seem to show that acroread expects the "export value" instead of the
"name string", ie the *first* of the two array elements instead of the second.

I've constructed two files that differ only in this detail (look at the
combobox on the left). They have been incrementally updated from the same
file, therefore the interesting data is at the end.

Notice how acroread highlights the "Green" dropdown entry only in "WebToDB-
withExportValue.pdf". In "WebToDB-withOptionName.pdf" it doesn't recognize
that /V refers to a standard choice, and it behaves as if "Green" was a custom
value.
Reading the specs, I would expect the opposite.

Thank you for your help,
Fabio

P.S.: I'm using Adobe Reader 9.4.7 on Linux