[poppler] RFC: upstream optional threading support in pdftoppm for simple testing

Thomas Freitag Thomas.Freitag at kabelmail.de
Sun Apr 7 13:07:46 PDT 2013

Am 07.04.2013 21:12, schrieb Albert Astals Cid:
> El Diumenge, 7 d'abril de 2013, a les 16:31:52, Adam Reichold va escriure:
>> Hello,
>>
>> Am 07.04.2013 16:13, schrieb Albert Astals Cid:
>>> El Dissabte, 6 d'abril de 2013, a les 17:43:54, Adam Reichold va escriure:

>>> escriure:

>>> Makes sense to me, code-wise what's the difference between this and the
>>> code Thomas posted in the threading bug? Do you think this is
>>> simpler/easier to understand?
>> Yes, the difference is that I left out the Windows-specific part and
>> tried to keep it as simple as possible. For example, I think
>> synchronizing on the job queue is simpler than synchronizing on the
>> thread state. But of course, my implementation is not very efficient in
>> terms of performance, just sufficient for testing.
> Thomas would you be OK if we merge this patchset or you'd prefer yours (more
> complex?) to be in?
Oh, I never thought to get a question like this. To answer it, I need to
to go a little bit more far afield: When I started to implement it,
first of all I need a test case. Therefore I made that hack to pdftoppm
to use multiple threads under Windows (still my favorite programming
platform, I'm too old to change my habits), the pthread version I made
much later to run it over the PDF suite and so that You can test it,
too. But it was never made to publish it. And still I think that a multi
threading version of pdftoppm is not really necessary for the community.
BUT: because we now support multi threading, we need a test case in
general. I haven't review Adam's patch in detail, but if You think it is
sufficient as test case (and I don't think, that anyone need a Windows
test case), I can live with it. If You otherwise mean that we need a
more general support also on Windows, I'll spend one or two weekends to
revise my solution.

So I band the ball back to You.
Cheers,
Thomas