[poppler] UniqueFileStream and deleted files

Thomas Freitag Thomas.Freitag at kabelmail.de
Sat Mar 23 12:01:58 PDT 2013

Am 23.03.2013 18:59, schrieb Ihar `Philips` Filipau:
> On 3/23/13, Ihar `Philips` Filipau <thephilips at gmail.com> wrote:
>>> (i tried to find a way to duplicate a FILE* but failed)
>> How did you duplicate FILE*?
>>
>> How did the `fdopen( fileno(oldfile), mode )` failed?
>>
> Nope. This is the right way:
>
> int new_fd = dup( fileno(oldfile) );
> FILE *new_file = fdopen( new_fd, mode );
Duplicating the FILE pointer in that way is not a solution: I tried it
that way when I began to implement thread safe feature: At least under
Ubuntu and gcc the duplicated file pointer uses the same underlying
buffer, and that corrupts the thread safe feature. That's why I used the
fileName to create a complete new file pointer.
Of course we can do it in that way if we detect that the file is deleted
(and only then!), but a program which use threads to render different
pages the same time will then render garbage :-(

Cheers,
Thomas