[poppler] UniqueFileStream and deleted files

Thomas Freitag Thomas.Freitag at kabelmail.de
Mon Mar 25 00:44:33 PDT 2013

Am 25.03.2013 00:51, schrieb Albert Astals Cid:
> El Diumenge, 24 de març de 2013, a les 16:31:05, Adam Reichold va escriure:
>> Hello,

>>> I think, You're second solution is quite easy to implement (I mean
>>> really only easy to implement, it will take some time to change every
>>> code snippet and deeply test the changed code): since FileStream already
>>> use it's own buffer, there is no really need of the underlying system
>>> file buffer. So implementing something like a sharable GooFile (or
>>> extend gfile) which can be locked and remember the next read position in
>>> FileStream and then do something like gfile->read(readposition, buf,
>>> buflength) wouldn't really reduce the speed. But then I would prefer use
>>> the low level file handles instead of the file pointer. And it's even
>>> better than to write platform specific code and rely on Windows that the
>>> open file is not deletable and search for a Mac solution.
>>> Then the UniqueFileStream mechanism and the streamOwner instance
>>> variable can be removed, too.
>>> On the other hand: who deletes a just opened file and expects stability
>>> of the application which just opens the file? Is it really worth the
>>> effort?
>> Seems I am a bit to the party, but for what it's worth: I asked myself
>> the same question as Thomas. Providing a file object that takes care of
>> looking and per-thread offset seems like the best solution (ideally
>> implementing using low-level I/O), but is it really that useful to be
>> able to continue rendering unlinked files as long as Poppler fails
>> gracefully, i.e. does not crash.
> We still have the file open, it should work.
Ok, ok, I surrender. If You just post it to find a mug who will do it,
then open a bug report and assign it to me :-) Even if I don't feel like
to open an issue again which I just closed after working on it round
about 9 months, it is easier to make the mistakes by my own instead of
searching errors from others :-)
But I'm too busy in the moment with other projects to do it immediately,
so it will take probably a while.

Cheers,
Thomas