[poppler] LZW compression with Poppler

Thomas Freitag thomas.freitag.bbr at gmail.com
Sat Sep 14 03:28:46 PDT 2013

Hi Aldo!

(Please use my private E-Mail for any further communication).

First of all, PDFs itself are NEVER LZW compressed, they only CONTAIN
streams that can be LZW compressed (streams can be compressed with
several compressions, one of it can be LZW).
Therefore the LZW decompressor is part of a stream object and can be
find in Stream.cc.
Poppler is designed for reading PDF, not for creating PDF (with a few
exceptions), therefore You'll find only the LZW decompressor, not a
compressor. In cases where poppler writes a PDF file, it doesn't
compress streams i.e. with a LZW compressor, it just writes the streams
as they are in the source PDF.

I would prefer, that You ask questions like this over the official
poppler account, poppler at lists.freedesktop.org.

Cheers,
Thomas