[poppler] Bug 69485

Alex Korobkin korobkin+pp at gmail.com
Sat Jan 4 18:31:29 PST 2014

Ross, Adrian,

2014/1/4 Adrian Johnson <ajohnson at redneon.com>

> On 05/01/14 07:52, Ross Moore wrote:
> >
> > The  makepattern setpattern  has changed the Colorspace to become
> > that of a Pattern .
> > None of the operators following this have changed the Colorspace,
> > but the coding then tries to define a new pattern/image dictionary
> > via  imagemask .
> > This is the dubious operation, within such a Colorspace context.

Ross,
That is amazing, thanks again.
While we're on this subject, maybe you could have a look at the PS output
produced by pdftops, when processing the same file?
The resulting level 3 PostScript cannot be parsed by Distiller either, the
error is

%%[ Error: undefined; OffendingCommand: xyshow ]%%

Stack:
[26.046 0.0 26.046 0.0 26.046 0.0 26.046 0.0]
(Añ+cB'>˜)
[1.447 0 1.447 0 1.447 0 1.447 0]
(Añ+cB'>˜)
762.6
363.275

The PS file can be retrieved from here, it is 18Mb in size. (Unlike
pdftocairo, pdftops generates huge PS files. This particular one gets 10x
larger when I provide licensed fonts to pdftops.)
https://docs.google.com/uc?export=download&id=0B-vV7Qx5rjpEVWxVSWtFZU5UX2s

I suspect that there is a similar problem somewhere along the
lines 284962-284999:

/DeviceGray {} CS
[0] SC
[0] SC
0.514 w
0.447 Tc
-0.447 Tw
2 Tr
[18 0 0 18 154.68 762.6] Tm
0 0 Td
/F243_0 1 Tf
(\004]\011~\004\352"A)
[1.447
0
1.447
0
1.447
0
1.447
0] Tj

My very basic knowledge of PS doesn't allow be to get any deeper :(

I suggest filing a bug for cairo and when I get time I will look at
> changing the PS output. For PS level 3 a type 3 image can be used which
> includes the mask with the image. There is already code in cairo for
> doing this but due to the way poppler uses cairo this code path does not
> get activated.

Thanks Adrian,
I will certainly file a bug to cairo postscript component. We're on poppler
mailing list here, prhaps you could provide any advice to poppler team on
how to invoke that part of code that currently is not getting activated?

For now the work around is to print as PCL or if your printer supports
> it print as PDF.

Unfortunately, it's not just this one file that was reported to me as
unprintable. I use pdftops and pdftocairo on my printservers, and a numer
of other files fail to print on Ricoh printers with the same "xyshow"
error, as mentioned in the bug. I hope we can debug it until it is fixed
both in pdftops and in pdftocairo. We already made great progress.

-Alex