[poppler] Bug 69485

James Cloos cloos at jhcloos.com
Wed Jan 8 08:52:38 PST 2014

AK> I'm curious what does poppler pdftops do with fonts that makes such a
AK> noticeable difference in the resulting file? Could anything be done to
AK> make the resulting PostScript be more compatible with Adobe products?

It looks like pdftops creates font instances as it finds them in the pdf,
skipping only exact duplicates.

This pdf uses a number of non-embedded fonts, including AdobeSongStd-Light,
KozMinPr6N-Regular, MicrosoftYaHei, MicrosoftYaHei Bold, NSimSun, SimHei,
SimSun and some of the base14 fonts.  (Interestingly, it uses each of
Times-Roman, TimesNewRoman and TimesNewRomanPSMT; it seems the pdf has
a long and interesting edit history.)

Cairo, OTOH, only embeds the fonts it actually uses.

-JimC